I finished up the drawers this past weekend. The cabinet has just a few items left (cover for the router bay, decisions about the center drawer slots… but the unit is back in service! (read this weeks update here)
Nice to get the shop back into working order. In addition the old cabinet was disassembled for scrap, and I’m reusing some of the hardware in other projects now.
The cabinet was finally installed on the base. Progress continues… read here.
Work continues on the router cabinet rebuild, when I decided to use a simpler technique to create my dado’s.
I had planned to do an un-boxing type of post – however, I’m impatient, and I’ve been looking forward to these for a while now. I’ve been using a 10″ carcass saw that I got from Mark Harrel (BadAxe Tool Works)some time back – and I absolutely love it. I had a 16″ and 14″ tenon and sash saw that I got from Lie-Nielson, but I always went back to the carcass saw at my bench. There was something about the way the saw worked for me that I just can’t put my finger on. I don’t know if it’s sharper (Mark sharpens the saws for the wood I use – mostly cherry and white oak) or if its the handle, or the hang, but the BadAxe saws just feel better.
Getting started is always tough, but I needed to figure out how to optimize the cuts for the joinery I was going to use for the main cabinet. I decided to use the table saw for the first set of grooves and dados.
The details can be found here…