The chisel that I rely heavily on when working up joinery is my paring chisel. It’s a 1 1/4″ Stanley SW chisel with the handle that fits into the shaft of the metal. That allows me to use the chisel handle that came with it… or the longer chisel handle that I turned a couple years back. The longer handle allows me more body control when I want it, and I favor that handle because I’m more comfortable with it.
I had built the primary parts of the sharpening station with white oak due to it’s natural resistance to water and such, and then used cherry for the frame and bottom shelf parts. But it turns out that I spray water more than I should, so I did go back and add two finishing changes. The edges were (finanlly) relaxed by knocking the edges over with a quick planing. And I used some waterlox (two coats) to the wood to ensure that water would not be absorbed in any of the exposed end grains that were exposed!
The bookshelf for the kindergarteners was assembled for my wife and daughter to size and sew the canvas shelf material. A template was created to trim the sides to shape. The drill holes in the template were used to align the larger holes that were used to fill with 1/2″ rods that will support the shelf fabric. Once we’re set, the rods will be trimmed flush to the sides and the drawer knobs will be screwed into both ends to hold the bars in place. (Well, they are kindergartners after all!) At that point, this unit will be finished with chalk paint. and that’s when I expect to get a request to either change design – or deliver more.
I’ve two daughters(*) that are working hard to make sure kids have a good learning experience. And because I support them however they’ll let me, I do get some school related things to do. In previous years I took some 4×8′ sheets of hardboard with a white finish and cut them down into 10×8″ squares. These squares then had each edge gently sanded to make sure they were completely smooth. The students were kindergarteners, and the little boards became sketch pads for school. We make more than there are kids in class, and we refreshed them as needed.
So as part of the cleanup in the shop – yep finally back to that – that I started a while back, I’ve been pulling out a lot of wood that I’ve held onto for a while. When I start with a nice board, and cut it down for the project, I’m loath to get rid of the off cut. And those tend to pile up over time. And if you pay attention to the calendar, it does not take long at all to get a big pile. Anyways, I’ve got a plastic 30 gal can that I use for wood off cuts that I will eventually get rid of. However it really holds small stuff, not longer stuff – and that’s where the latest cleanup decision has had to be.