Ok, we tried using a new servo to handle raising and lowering the carriange platform. The original one didn’t have the strength to suspend the drill when it wasn’t being raised, and that made it occasionally just drop. I ordered a stronger servo
Read about it here (with videos as well!)
Just about done – the unit is running now with a pencil lead instead of a drill bit, but we’re really close now! Read about it and watch my first video here.
Continuing the work on the decorator – the lift mechanism for the drill needed to be changed to support raising and lowering – longer arms were the solution. Additionally the first attachment of a drill is underway! Read about it here..
Completed! the colors are all general finishes premixed milkpaint – Klien Blue, Emerald, Holiday Red, and SunGlow. I wanted the brightest colors I could find. Chalkboards were used front and back, because we have carpeting in the playroom where the toy box will sit, and we’re pretty sure that the markers would find there way to the fiber.
If you want to participate in the build this year and have your build count towards the generous donations from the Spaguonolo’s – you can find out more about it, and the plans, at the WoodWhisperer site.
Work continues on the Pen Decorator. Read about it here.
Just updated the drawings to make some of the physical changes we wanted to do. Read more…
The next stage of development is in progress – I got most of the code running on the test jig this week, and once I got it to a point that most functions seemed to work – it was time to put it into a practice jig. But before that happened, I got two micro switches to use to detect when the drill platform hit the far right and left points. Originally, I was just going to mount these so that I could tell when the drill platform hit the ends Continue reading
For those that are interested, I’m going to keep a compiled list of parts, prices and sources for the project here. I already have a couple more parts on order, and if they work out, I’ll update the list to include them as well.
To be able to work on part of a project, while on the road is a bit of a challenge. I cobbled together a jig to hold the controller and motors to allow me to start working on the controller code while I was on a business trip. The gory details are in the update to the pen decorator project.