I’ve long since replaced the drive belt on my bandsaw with a v-link. I did that before I realized that the reason the original belt had been slipping was because I had not tightened the belt tension properly. I’ve left the belt cover on since that replacement, and as I was cleaning up the saw, I removed that cover. I was amazed at the pile of dust that had collected there. I wish I had taken a picture – the box was probably 1/3 full of dust, and the thought of that dust being in contact with the belt pretty much convinced me that this should be part of the yearly tune-up!
The remainder of the cleanup went pretty much as expected:
1. removed the blade and table
2. used compressed air to blow out dust from where I couldn’t vaccuum it out
3. lubricate the thrust bearings and guide bearings (I used the Carter stuff) I’m going to need to replace some of these… only a couple spin freely, and one feels rough. I use a blade and bit cleaner for this step, to remove any build-up in the bearings.
4. clean off and wax the table surface
5. clean off the trunion mounts to remove any dirt or schmutz that has built up there.
6. reassemble the table
7. inspect the tires, I’m looking to make sure the tires are not cracked, have not split, and don’t have any serious ridges from where the blade sits.
8. remount the blade, recheck the tension.
9. reset the bearings (remember to back them all the way off, before remounting the blade!)
10. square the table to the blade to reset the 0 stop
… and life is good again!!