Tag Archives: tool maintenance

Cleaning up the jointer

I was actually dreading this job – I have not checked the table alignment on the joiner since photo 1 (7)the day I first set it up. (And I was really not sure how to check it then either, as I didn’t have a reliable straight edge in the shop – I used a metal yardstick on edge at the time). As you may be able to tell from the pictures, the tables were still co-planer – *whew*!

Most of the original power tools I have are rigid brand, as I had a home depot near me at the time. This is their 6″ jointer and it uses indexed knives. The good part is that I don’t have to fiddle with blade alignment when changing the blades. The bad news is that I really can’t resharpen them. What I do need to pay attention to is the cruft that builds up under the blades before I insert a new blade. I lift out the clamp piece, and using a set of photo 1 (6)picks I got for Christmas one year (finally got to put them to work) I loosed any material that was packed in there, then blew it out with the compressor. The blades are able to drop in to the bottom, and I simply tightened the clamps back down. and of course, I lather, rinse and repeat as there are three blades on this unit.

Next is cleaning and waxing the table tops to keep the wood movement easy. Then I put the fence back in place, and reset it to the default 90 degree setting and that’s another beast back to work.

Advertisements

Cleaning up the bandsaw

photo 1 (5)

I’ve long since replaced the drive belt on my bandsaw with a v-link. I did that before I realized that the reason the original belt had been slipping was because I had not tightened the belt tension properly. I’ve left the belt cover on since that replacement, and as I was cleaning up the saw, I removed that cover. I was amazed at the pile of dust that had collected there. I wish I had taken a picture – the box was probably 1/3 full of dust, and the thought of that dust being in contact with the belt pretty much convinced me that this should be part of the yearly tune-up!

 

 

The remainder of the cleanup went pretty much as expected:
1. removed the blade and tablephoto 3 (4)

2. used compressed air to blow out dust from where I couldn’t vaccuum it out

3. lubricate the thrust bearings and guide bearings (I used the Carter stuff) I’m going to need to replace some of these… only a couple spin freely, and one feels rough. I use a blade and bit cleaner for this step, to remove any build-up in the bearings.

4. clean off and wax the table surface

5. clean off the trunion mounts to remove any dirt or schmutz that has built up there.

6. reassemble the tablephoto 2 (5)

7. inspect the tires, I’m looking to make sure the tires are not cracked, have not split, and don’t have any serious ridges from where the blade sits.

8. remount the blade, recheck the tension.

9. reset the bearings (remember to back them all the way off, before remounting the blade!)

10. square the table to the blade to reset the 0 stop

 

… and life is good again!!