So a couple years back Shannon Rogers covered the creation of the Roubo style resaw frame saw in semester 4. And I purchased the metal and blades at that time and they’ve been moved around quite a bit since then. I recently got a spot between some projects, and decided to go ahead and do the Roubo style 4′ long, 4″ wide large saw to see how I can make do. I have lots of 8/4 cherry stock and my oldest daughter has asked for some wall units that would benefit from some book matched components. I figured since most of the stalk “could” be done on a bandsaw I’m covered if this doesn’t work out, but in the mean time it’s sure fun to try out these techniques. I’m pretty impressed to find out some manual operations are a lot faster than power tool operations – setup for hand tools is pretty easy sometimes, and sometimes a simple operation setup on the power tool is not.
The chisel that I rely heavily on when working up joinery is my paring chisel. It’s a 1 1/4″ Stanley SW chisel with the handle that fits into the shaft of the metal. That allows me to use the chisel handle that came with it… or the longer chisel handle that I turned a couple years back. The longer handle allows me more body control when I want it, and I favor that handle because I’m more comfortable with it.
Since I built the bench last fall, I’ve used it a few times for demonstrations, and am starting to use it for projects at home as well (in addition to my Roubo bench). There were a couple of construction details that I needed to clean up that I finally took care of yesterday.
Last night I got into the show and tell session sponsored by Adafruit. You can see my part starting at 7:11 (yeah, I choked on a few things) here I stated I work at Woodcraft – which is true, but it’s part time on Saturdays. I have a full time job with Amdocs doing computer consulting. Ah well, I’ll blame it on the hot studio lamps and make-up team…
Continuing the work on the decorator – the lift mechanism for the drill needed to be changed to support raising and lowering – longer arms were the solution. Additionally the first attachment of a drill is underway! Read about it here..
A new tool for the “projects when the power is out”. My wife and kids gave me an early Christmas gift this year – I need to refurbish/rebuild this and get it back into service as best I can. You can read more about it under the projects tab.
Work continues on the Pen Decorator. Read about it here.
Another saw from Ron Bontz showed up this past week – and it’s a useful little thing. The half back saw has a short back at the top of the plate. Filed for cross-cut, it seems to excel as a go to saw at the bench. It’s on the rack right behind me at the bench or in a slot on the bench most of the time.
When it first arrived, packed as shown above, the teeth were very very sharp, and I noticed that I had to be careful to to not flex the plate when the teeth caught. Holding it like a baby bird, using full strokes and remembering NOT to push it into the wood, the saw is re-enforcing some basics. As with all the saws I’ve gotten from Ron, the handle fits my hand really really well. After a week of frequent use and a bit of set adjustment (I messed around with it when I found a burr that I thought was responsible for the catching) it’s spot on for me now.
I’m blaming this one entirely on Shannon Rogers, as I want to build the tool tote, and this is the saw that seems to be perfect for that use. Look for that project in a later post!
The next set of tweaks is done on the drawing, we’re going to try to get the new carriage assembly set up and cut out in the next couple weeks, and this time around – we’re planning to mount a Dremmel with a grinding burr as part of the test. (Prior to that I have to make up some blanks with paper taped on, and create a marker holder that can be mounted to test some of the pattern logic out. I’ve uploaded this plan to the 3D Warehouse for those that are interested.
Just updated the drawings to make some of the physical changes we wanted to do. Read more…